What is it?
Lots of things can make your eyes look red and bloodshot, from lack of sleep to smoky environments and swimming in a chlorinated swimming pool. The bloodshot appearance is caused by the widening or dilation of the small blood vessels in the white part of the eye, making them look more prominent.
What are the main causes?
- Pollution - exhaust fumes, smoke, dust and chemicals can all irritate the eyes making them red and bloodshot
- Swimming - The chlorine used in swimming pools can be particularly irritating to your eyes
- Staring at a computer screen for long periods can cause eye strain and red eyes.
- Lack of sleep - When we are tired our eyes can look bloodshot, particularly problematic the morning after a late night!
What are the symptoms?
Your eyes will look red and the small blood vessels in the white part of your eye will be more obvious than usual. Your eyes are also likely to feel irritated & gritty and may also be slightly watery but there should be no pain. Most often both eyes will be affected.
What can I do about it?
- Clears the redness
- Relieves sore eyes
- Try and get plenty of sleep by avoiding repeated late nights
- Wear goggles when swimming to stop chlorine irritating the eyes.
Want to know more?
Find out more about Optrex Red Eyes Eye Drops (Pharmacy only). Always read the label, use only as directed, if symptoms persist see your healthcare professional.
Not Sure? Click here to use our solution finder and find out what Optrex product may be most suitable for your needs.
Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist, see your healthcare professional.